Saturday, July 28, 2007

I am my own worst enemy

I was surprised at the matter-of-factly admission by a close friend, on him being the assailant of another acquaintance. While the "victim" who clarified his actions to cement his innocence, the close friend simply stated how he felt and that the "victim" had it coming, through a common impression formed and from pent-up frustration and anger.Life is complicated enough. If everyone could just be that little bit more tolerant, understanding and abit more in control of their stronger emotions, perhaps this ugly episode could have been mitigated. But then, who am I to comment? I'm just being idealistic I suppose.

I understand the feeling of alienation and of the potential abuse one had coming to him. But I have also been granted a glimpse from a third party’s point of view on how the other person chose to deal with this seething hostility displayed by his compatriots.

Like the eye opener given to me Friday morning, which has made me reflect upon certain aspects of my character, on my good intentions that sometimes comes with a lack of effort to achieve them, resulting in a temporal social disruption and a compromise to the integrity of the bridge of the perception of my being.

Like the reminder of Friday, which made me realize that one thing that perhaps stands in my way towards accomplishing all that which I have always wanted to be and all that which I can become and to become a better person and character – That I am my own worst enemy.

Perhaps this holds true to everyone, that if one starts judging him/herself on a level more critical and brutal than that of society, to be present and keenly aware of his/her actions, thoughts, words and intentions, one would realize that often, the greatest hurdle to establishing our ideal and optimum self would indeed be, ironically, ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home