Saturday, December 16, 2006

It's like hitting a brick wall

We know what it is like - we've all run into this wall at some point. I ran into one Thursday and it’s not that I had a car wreck I was speaking meteorically running into a wall. I build up the confidence to go over and talk to the attractive stranger. I have a thought of something interesting to say and then I stroll by. Suddenly a fleeting expression on the strangers face causes my confidence to shake. I no longer feel that opening remark is nearly as witty or interesting as it had been.

By the time I get across to the stranger my mouth opens and I manage to force out what I was going to say. Then immediately begin imagining the stranger frowning at me, turning away, maybe even laughing. My stomach tightens and palms sweat. Why does my mind have to focus on the worst possible outcome in a time when I need it least?

My emotions tend to reflect very recent and current experiences far more strongly than those that occurred in my recent past. Although this undoubtedly helps my survival, keeping me keenly aware of the local surroundings, when those experiences are negative my temporary confidence may get wildly distorted from reality… before the attractive female stranger has a chance I shoot myself down.

I believe that most of the limitations I have encounter in my life don’t exist out there in the world, but in between my own ears. My mind creates most of the limitations for ME. Conversely, it can be my greatest source of power. When or if I understand my own mind and know how to use it.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger It's Me said...

Interesting post. I was just out a at bar last night, dressed beautifully and I was just wondering why not a single guy would come and talk to me. And I wondered why, it seems more and more these days that guys don't seem to make the first move anymore, and I was sad that modern gender roles have changed things. And then I read your post.. So... how do we bridge the gap between the nice girls who wouldn't laugh at you, and you coming over to talk to us???

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I don't know any suggestions?

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger kaz said...

I used this and it's kinda funny - you just have to say it right and with confidence.
You see a girl at the bar. You walk up to her and sit down.
and say
"So a guy walkes into a bar, sits down (you look at the girl at this point)looks at a girl and offers to buy her a drink...(pause) (if you reponse continue with) she accepts and the guy says hi my names Scott ----now if she says no then you can just say guy walkes into a bar tries to buy a nice girl a drink and he's shut down and walks off - (get up and leave) - I think it's kinda funny. It's pritty much giving yourself a running commentary.
You can just crap on about anything that your thinking and respond to her reactions.

Worked for me! :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home