Saturday, November 11, 2006

Old posting

I needed room on my disk to save a report and as I was reviewing documents I came acorss one assignment that I think ended up as a post on that old blog... made me think then it made me sad... then I thought about it some more... there is a pattern developing so I deleted after I copied it here so read on if you wish.

I had a final assigment due for a course I had taken at my university, the assignment was to tell the professor how I have been and also do I feel as if I had gotten all that I desired from the university. Over all the assignment was easy, but it really made me reflect upon the last two years of my life. I begin my assigment by telling her that I am well, with no major complaints. As I approach graduation I find myself asking the same question and that question is: now what? When I started the program I had a clear career goal in mind I wanted to progress within the ranks of ______ to the level of an operational manager. Since the dissolution of Revenue Services, my old department and my reassignment to World Revenue Recovery Collections I have been trying to make sense of my professional life. I have talked with several people in other departments, marketing, sales, and even ground with each discussion I had it was explained that although my experience and education is impressive I lack the experience to make the transition from a customer service role to one within the marketing/sales or even management. That left me very frustrated, but then about nine months ago I started thinking on other alternatives other then _____ for example national City Bank and PNC Bank.

In my career search to find the perfect employer after graduation I came across this web site: www.teachforamerica.org, as I explored it I quickly realized that it was geared towards individuals that have little or no teaching experience but who are driven to succeed. People who have excelled as students and, or in their careers and especially people who want to do something that matters. I want more then just another job, I want a career that provides me with a decent salary but I also want a career that gives me the sense that what I do does make a difference. As I did further research on this alternative I learned that across the nation there is a need for quality people that want the same as I do. More importantly I also learned that there is no one profile for an ideal teaching candidate; most school districts seek candidates that span a wide range of ages and backgrounds and bring to their program a diverse set of talents and skills. In addition they seek strong candidates that are committed to having a positive effect on student achievement, who display excellence in their previous endeavors and who are dedicated to challenging, reaching, and influencing students on a daily basis. Needless to say this has only added to my confusion, I still feel attached to my current employer but I also now have a deep desire to explore a career as a teacher.

As for my personal life, did not much talk about that in the assignment. I do want to say that there is one person that I hope does not hold any grudges or has any ill feelings towards me because I do care for her. I always will care for her, I think she is awesome but I realized now that she wants "space" to discover exactly what she is looking for in her own life. I want to wish her all the best and I hope she finds what she is looking for and I also hope she meets that Mr. Right. Everybody deserves to meet that person that knows exactly how to treat your significant other and what it takes to make them happy. It's funny; I am a loyal person to both my friends and company - loyal to the bitter end! Do they deserve such loyalty?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home