Monday, August 14, 2006

To teach that is the question...

Before the summer begin I was wrapping up my final term at Duquesne University and I also was enjoying the new job at the bank. I was more glad to be out of a negative environment where I was treated like f'ing number and regardless of what or how hard I work I knew I would not be going anywhere. I promised myself that at the start of the summer I would not think about anything but enjoying my summer. However, it was anything but that. It’s funny the more you do not really want to think about a specific topic the more you do and the less you want to think about a topic the less you do. Did I make sense with that last line? Moving on … for a bit I was actually thinking about giving up on my quest to teach but I think it was more of the happiness of being able to quit a job that I came to hate and also being in an new environment that excited me hence my confused earlier thoughts about giving up that desire to teach. As the time progressed over the summer I had thoughts of pushing ahead then I had thoughts of giving up, and not spending another dime on my higher education and just work – work for a bank, a company any business. I was at a point of total confusion as to what I want for ME – for my FUTURE. It was Thursday night and I was going through a nightly prayer and I just came out and asked God that I need some guidance – direction in life. I asked for a sign and last night I feel as if I got my request. It’s strange for me to write this as I find it difficult to really open up and share my religious beliefs with the world. This evening they have a made for tv movie on about a man named Ron Clark. Who is Ron Clark you ask? Well Ron Clark is a urbanteacher that has charm, determination and a stubborn resistance to defeat. He was honored for so many stunning classroom accomplishments that he has become the Tiger Woods of teaching. The Ron Clark story was produced by The Walt Disney Co. who also named him the American Teacher of the Year in 2000. His first book, "The Essential 55," is a best-seller and also this fall marks the opening of the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta. He is a man who made teaching not just his career but his life’s work to make a difference – a positive difference on the lives of children. That’s what I have always wanted for the longest time I want to do something, I want to have a sense that my life had meaning and I want someone to say that Scott made a difference in my life. As a aspiring teacher I promise never to tell a student that they are dum, incapable of learning or just giving up on them but I promise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home