Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Someone I used to once know

I was looking through some old pictures last night and couldn’t help but think back over all the memories I have of friends from beyond. They each enriched me in some way. They all provided something that I needed at that moment. Some people were around briefly, like the fellow PNC Banker who used to hit the bars with me. (Yes, I’m guilty of this.) Others have been around literally my entire lifetime, and I couldn’t and won’t imagine life without them. (That’s right, my mom is going to live forever!) Others were temporary visitors, they either chose to leave or were evicted for one reason or another. Each and every single one of them helped shape who I am today.

I know now, that not every person you meet is worth having as a friend. The friends you do have in your life should respect you, understand your faults, and be willing to form a partnership of give and take. I know now that possessions may fill a room, but love and, or friendship fills your heart for the worth that person may bring to your life. This doesn’t stop me from wanting for friends of a by gone day, but it is no longer a top priority. Some call this growing up. I call it evolution. Everybody grows, but not everybody evolves. Some forget the importance of please, thank you, and you’re welcome. More even forget “I’m sorry.”
When I look back, I laugh and am thankful for so much. I’m thankful for my first failed well you know? Kristina was all important at one time. Yes, even that taught me something, precisely what I didn’t want in a potential mate. I’m thankful for those who have failed me in the past, for teaching me the true meaning of friendship. I’m thankful for those I’ve left behind, for teaching me how to keep company that is right for me. I’m thankful for blogger.com for pushing the emotional envelope. I’m stronger for having been broken, and have learned to rebuild (this blog is a work in progress.) I’m thankful for illnesses in my family, who have taught me to not take time for granted.

I’m not sure where my path is leading. I am certain that wherever it goes, I will remember the lessons of the past. The lesson is simple, slow down. I’ve been searching for the brass ring, the smiling little one who will call me sweetie, or just friend. What I need to remember that life is happening around me. I need to enjoy it. Just don’t tell me that, ok? It’s my lesson, not one to be preached to me.

I was one in which I waited for my path to choose me. I think I may have an inkling what I want more in life, but I guess you can say I’m waiting rather impatiently for a sign to show up. So, today I laughed. I enjoyed today. Just as I enjoyed Saturday evening hanging out if ever so briefly with friends of days past.

1 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger It's Me said...

Nice post today... I feel like that sometimes too. Thanks for your comment - I am trying really hard, and I am putting my wellbeing and healthy state of mind at the forefront this time...

Good luck to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home