Monday, May 21, 2007

How do you feel?

I get asked this question quite often. My response is very generic, very factory generated: "It's going good. Busy, busy, busy." I sound so happy and enthusiastic when I say this. The truth is, I am already bored.

I've been doing this bank thing since last March, and, at first, I thought it was great. Nice big checks for all the work I do; I see my boss about once per month; I get to be in front of people (which I love). Now, however, I am beginning to see the downside of this particular job; it's very repetitive. Entry-level coding!

I spend two or three hours in my office getting my accounts ready. I order loan files. I put them together. I make copies of all the necessary loan documents for the audit department. I box everything up, using an ample amount of paper clips and paper binders. Sometimes, I have office time in which I have no loans to code Then, I get to work on the projects assigned to me, missing my deadlines by days because of the lack of office time for when I am swamped. I turn in my time sheet every other week for the paycheck. I do it all over again.

Also, I've discovered that, beyond getting a pay raise, there is opportunity for advancement in this job. Oh yes, there is I have seen my coworkers move up for better jobs within the bank and also with other banks! I am in college to be a High School Teacher. Partly because I want to teach and partly because I want to have a job that gives me a sense of fulfillment. it is very hard to find a job in this particular area in Pennsylvania (lots of competition), so if I want to teach and make a decent living the question becomes - relocating. I tried that once _ Miami! Could I if the opportunity presents itself again relocate?

So, I began thinking, what would I do, if I could start it all over? That is, if I had the time, and resources to start college all over again (from the Bachelor's level), what would I do? I then realized that I am most likely not the only person who has had this thought. Some people even go back, get a second Bachelor's, and make a huge career change.

So, I am asking you, the blog reader (yes, both of you), what would you do, if you could start it all over? If you really like what you do now, give me a "dream job." If you have your dream job, then, just go ahead and brag about it. Today's comments section is an open "Career Regrets and Highlights Forum." Have at it.

P.S. If I could start it all over again, I would be a teacher right and would of been for the past few years. That, or a Mime.

1 Comments:

At 3:13 AM, Blogger kaz said...

I'm looking at what you have achieved and the road you have taken to get there.
I'm thinking go with it. Don't look back at what you could have done look at what you could do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home