Friday, June 06, 2008

Where did the magic go?!

There seemed to be a bit of magic left, but in the end, the Pens fell short coming oh-so-close to sending Game 6 to overtime. It was an unbelievable season; one that a month from now will seem more so after the sting of last night's loss wears off.


It was an extremely emotional locker room last night. It was one of the hardest tasks I've had in this profession. Here are these guys who you feel like you've lived and died with over the last 2 months, all you want to do is let them deal with the emotions, but you have to do your job and stick a microphone and camera (or 30) in their face, with tears coming down their cheeks, trying not to feel like the intruder you are inwhat's supposed to be their safe haven. It was hard.

Ryan Malone couldn't speak. I think that's as clear as any that he may have played his final game in a Penguins uniform. Sidney Crosby demonstrated his true colors answering every question thrown his way despite tears breaking through. Ryan Whitney had his head buried, but still spoke with the media.

I was talking about this before the game -- it's so much easier to lose in a blowout than at the last second. You're not left with those feelings of coulda, shoulda, woulda. You know early the game is over. Last night the Pens fought hard to come back, and nearly tied it in the final SECOND, only to be sent packing and watching someone else celebrate on their home ice. It's a tough pill to swallow.

We'll soon find out how much of this year's team will be back next year. I hope somehow everyone is able to be re-signed, but we all know that can't happen. Only time will tell, as it will heal this wound for fans and players.

I, for one, can attest to the pain. In college I won 2 championships in 3 years. A loss sandwhiched by 2 ####. But even after winning that second trophy, the loss still bothered me. It still does if I let it to this day. I had a chance to tie up the game late, (it would have taken some ridiculous acrobatics and luck... and probably a little (a lot) more skill than I possessed) but it still eats at me that I didn't get it done.

I'm sure these Pens will be feeling the same thing. We can only hope they use it as motivation to ensure they never again have to experience what they did last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home