Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My blog

It has been many months since my last blog entry that had anthing to do with my feelings. It's not that I haven't had things about which I've wanted to blog -- I've had many. It's not that I haven't had the time to blog -- I've been incredibly busy, yes, but I could have made time for an entry every day or two expressing my feelings. Lately I have been posting willy-nilly not really saying much.

I haven't been blogging because I don't know why I'm doing it anymore. I don't mean to say that I find blogging pointless -- I certainly don't. What I mean to say is that I've come to realize that if I'm going to continue to blog, there needs to be a point to it other than keeping a public record of things I find interesting. I need an intended audience, and a reason they should care about what I have to say. Otherwise, I should just write down everything in a personal journal and keep it to myself.

In other words, I need a focus to this blog.

If I focus on my personal life and the things that would be interesting to my friends and family, then where do I blog about the things I find interesting about the world at large?

If I focus (if I can use that word in this sentence) on semi-random bits of trivia, then where do I blog about my personal life? And more importantly, does anyone care about semi-random bits of trivia anymore? That was how I came to be introduced to blogging -- by blogs without a core focus, simply brief pointers to items of interest interspersed with the occasional longer essay. And to be honest, I don't read any new blogs anymore -- I keep to my short list.

I'm thinking about splitting my blog into two halves. One half would be personal and probably interesting only to friends and family. The other half would be completely new and would be focused on a subject that is personally interesting to me, that is of interest to an audience in the larger world, and that I'm qualified to discuss. (I'm not ready to talk about the subject yet -- I'm still mulling over the precise definition.) This is attractive, but I'm worried about keeping up two blogs when I've been having trouble with only one. Then it occurred to me that I did create two blogs, then I'd have to decide what goes where. Do I retool this blog to be personal or to be popular? Or do I close out this blog and create two new blogs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home