Monday, April 10, 2006

Homer

My 1st baseball game was, at that time Three Rivers Stadium, and I was about 6 and the only things I remember about it was that our seats were in the lower deck in right field and I damn near choked on a hotdog when something happened and the crowd jumped up cheering and startled me with a mouthful of hotdog. I attended many games at "Three Rivers" and was saddened when the team threatened to leave Pittsburgh if they did not get a new ball park. Three Rivers was a dual purpose stadium that was used for both football and baseball. It had to be one of the worse major league parks for fans and the ugliest. The best seats I ever got were on the railing, upper deck, just past the third base coaches box. EXCELLENT seats can be found just about anywhere now in PNC Park. Now at PNC Park Stadium you were up close to the action and the players and now a favorite memory of mine will be the aroma of cigars, fresh peanuts and steaming ball park hotdogs drifting in the wind from inside the ball-park. I was walking back home from work and my new commute takes me past PNC Park. Can the Pittsburgh Pirates duplicate the Pittsburgh steelers achievement and win the world series? Probably not as they are already off to a five game losing streak and judging by the crowds leaving the game early today it shall soon be six defeats and zero wins but then again people counted the Steelers out and the "wild cards" proved us all wrong.

Another fond memory was first learning that old time song …

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home